POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Porous Rock : Re: Porous Rock Server Time
19 May 2024 13:55:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Porous Rock
From: SharkD
Date: 13 Jul 2008 22:40:01
Message: <web.487abbde1771580b302c26d00@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
> I was messing around with some multifractals and came up with this. It's
> based on a crackle form <1,0,0> repeated like a perlin multi-fractal over 8
> octaves. The heightfield renders pretty quick (19 minutes) but the isosurfae
> took an amazing 9 hours!

It looks incredible! I'm wondering what the results would be in terms of
rendering times if you used a mesh instead of an isosurface. I know there's an
external utitlity to replace parametric objects with meshes. I can't recall if
there's also one for isosurfaces.

Of course, the typical parametric curve tends to be much smoother than the
object you've created here. Not sure if this is the ideal application for
meshes.

-Mike